Monday, July 12, 2010

Brantford demolition continues - the Esquire Theatre

below: the Esquire Theatre (Brantford, Ontario) in its heyday. Note the vitrolite around the left and right storefronts. On the marquee, Richard Widmark was starring in the film "Slatterly's Hurricane", with Linda Darnell and Veronica Lake, which was released in 1949; the familiar deco stylized thunderbird is seen above the Esquire's marquee - compare to how the theatre looked recently in Feb.2010. below: video as the Esquire Theatre is demolished, as seen July 6, 2010, by R.Bobak.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My mother to me to the Esquire to see The Al Jolson Story starring Larry Parks in the early 1950's. TCM aired that movie recently and it was a delight to be reminded of how much I enjoyed that outing and sharing my love of movies with my mother that has stayed with me to this day. I am nearly 73 years of age. Thank you for your efforts to remember when the Esquire was a first run movie house in Brantford, Ontario

Unknown said...

My father was a projectionist at the Esquire from 1941 until it closed in either 1954 or 1955. I spent many happy hours in it watching my favourite western movie stars.