above: as seen July 6, 2010, the demolition continues along the south side of Colborne St. in Brantford Ont. The excavator is seen working on what had been the old Esquire theatre, which opened for business on June 3, 1937.
The wall now seen exposed in the distance is the west-side wall of the building at 71 Colborne St., which was built in 1870, as part of the James Bellhouse block. This building had five small dormered gables facing onto Colborne St., as seen at the upper left. In the 1950's and 60's Mayfair Ladies Wear had occupied the westerly-storefront of the Bellhouse Block.
Further next to the Mayfair (in the center of the same 1870-built Bellhouse Block) was the storefront that lastly housed Zorba's Restaurant, at 73-75 Colborne St., with three dormers above; and the last storefront, at the easterly-end of the Bellhouse Block was at #77 Colborne St. with the last dormer.
above: July 6, 2010 - looking at the demolition site of the former Esquire Theatre from the rear, from Water St.; a nearly-demolished part of the theatre's rear lower wall is still seen at the left. (the wall seen above had actually been an older wall within the theatre; there had been an addition further to the rear (to the left) which brought the theatre's rear wall right to Water St. (see here); this addition has just recently been demolished, exposing the earlier interior brick wall farther in.) The rear of the former Mayfair Ladies Wear is seen next to the right, with its single small dormer facing to the rear; further to the right is the building which had housed Zorba's Restaurant, with its three small gabled dormers seen. The fifth rear dormer of the Bellhouse Block is just out of frame at the top right.
Photos by R. Bobak